Thoughts for the Christmas season from a new study called The World Distribution of Household Wealth:
- The richest 2% of adults in the world own more than half of global household wealth.
- The richest 1% of adults alone owned 40% of global assets in the year 2000.
- The richest 10% of adults accounted for 85% of the world total.
- The bottom half of the world adult population owned barely 1% of global wealth.
- The research finds that assets of $2,200 per adult placed a household in the top half of the world wealth distribution in the year 2000.
- To be among the richest 10% of adults in the world required $61,000 in assets, and more than $500,000 was needed to belong to the richest 1%, a group with 37 million members worldwide.